Welcome to my "all things plants" blog. These are my own personal observations, thoughts, and things I've found beneficial to me. Please comment and contribute.

“To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves.” -Gandhi

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Botany Field Trip

I took my students out on a little botany field trip today to teach them how to use a Dichotomous tree key.

It was interesting. But I do think they learned at least ONE new thing. So here are a few of the things we looked at. (not all because I kept forgetting I had the camera!!!)

Some Buckeye!























Some Coneflowers: 2 species of Echinacea
























And some butterfly weed:





















And yes we did get around to some trees! LOL! They identified: Maple, Pine, two species of Magnolia, three species of Oak, Redbud, Ginkgo, and I managed to stump them with Japonica. Bad me, it is a cultivated tree and therefore was NOT on their key!

It was nice to get out of the lab for a bit and get some fresh air and exercise! I think they enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can comment but I will moderate the comments so that no spam gets into the blog.