Welcome to my "all things plants" blog. These are my own personal observations, thoughts, and things I've found beneficial to me. Please comment and contribute.

“To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves.” -Gandhi

Monday, June 13, 2011

tried an organic herbicide today

I found a simple recipe online awhile ago for an herbicide. very simple and easy. So today I decided to whip up a batch and try it out on this obnoxious vine that I seem to be allergic to. Not poison ivy ....or oak. Not sure what it is. I will snag a picture of it later and post it.

Here is the recipe.

1 gallon vinegar
1 cup of salt
a dash of dish soap.

warm vinegar and add salt until dissolved. Let cool, add dish soap.

Now I made a half batch:

1/2 gal vinegar (white)
1/2 C salt

I brought the vinegar to the point of almost simmering and poured the salt in (kinda slow, didn't just dump it in) and stirred until dissolved. I then let it cool and slowly drizzled the dish soap in as I stirred. I used Lavender ultra Dawn. smells SOOOOO good!!! I used about one tablespoon.

I then let it finish cooling, poured some into a spray bottle and sprayed that vine.

The warning is you have to just spray the leaves of the plants you want dead. DO NOT SPRAY until dripping. Just give it a nice covering and then WALK AWAY! lol! seriously you do not want it on your soil or other plants. That is the warning given to me.

I sprayed some of the nasty vine leaves and some weeds growing in the side walk. I will take before and after pictures. Not sure how long this takes.

ok...getting camera now! :) be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can comment but I will moderate the comments so that no spam gets into the blog.