Welcome to my "all things plants" blog. These are my own personal observations, thoughts, and things I've found beneficial to me. Please comment and contribute.

“To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves.” -Gandhi

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

This week we do ROOTS!

In the botany lab I teach here, we are going to be learning all about roots; inside, outside, modifications, etc.

I have to remember to start the plants SOONER in my little "grow tubes" where I have radishes, onions, and carrots started. While you can see roots, they are not mature enough for the differences. However, we will have "fresh" stuff from the grocery store to annihilate....I mean dissect.

I've got six trays of seeds sprouting so they can dissect many embryo's. Beans, peas, alfalfa, lentils, and some hard white wheat. They seem to be growing well. There should be enough for all three labs.

Got my compost bucket ready, razor blades, and slides! It should be a rowdy chaotic day .........in other words: the usual! :)

They usually get a kick when I break out the root tip model. It's huge: about 24 or so inches high and a good 11 or so inches wide. It looks like a huge phallic god or something. And yes, I use it's looks to "lock in" what it is and does....very rarely does anyone get anything wrong on quizzes or exams about that root tip model!

Maybe I should tell them "this is all I kept of my ex-husband"

hmmmmmmm, maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can comment but I will moderate the comments so that no spam gets into the blog.