Welcome to my "all things plants" blog. These are my own personal observations, thoughts, and things I've found beneficial to me. Please comment and contribute.

“To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves.” -Gandhi

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

This week we do STEMS!

In our botany lab this week we will go over stems of plants, all the usual information: what tissues and structures are going on inside and outside. The students will look at various sticks and chunks of wood. They will learn about phyllotaxy (leave arrangement on a stem) so I need to see if we have enough plants in the greenhouse to cover all the different arrangements.


They will learn about heart wood, sap wood, soft wood, hard wood, spring wood, summer wood.

and yeah, I did make the comment about my ex....It was funny watching them try so very hard to not laugh (I think they did not think it appropriate to laugh) but seriously, how can you NOT think about what this root tip looks like?


and that is rather a decent picture of it. I don't think they will forget about the root cap either since I called it the "condom of the root tip".

have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can comment but I will moderate the comments so that no spam gets into the blog.