Welcome to my "all things plants" blog. These are my own personal observations, thoughts, and things I've found beneficial to me. Please comment and contribute.

“To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves.” -Gandhi

Monday, May 2, 2011

all those 'weeds'

Walking around my small yard before it was mowed, I was amazed at how many different plants/weeds I had growing!

And many of them wild medicinals!

Fleabane
Chickweed
plantain
cleavers
buttercups
shepherds purse
wild onions
henbit
dandelion

and a few others

I did harvest some before mowing; we have a 'law' here in town that if you don't keep your yard so 'short', you'll get fined, :P

But it's nice to know they are there, ready to spring alive and grow!

I will eventually have a grass free yard and all those wild edibles will be lovingly transplanted into raised beds! then the city will have NO SAY!!! And my yard will be completely fenced in so no little people coming in and 'helping' while I'm gone!

These weeds grow all over the place and are good for our health. Something that will help immensely when the world falls into total chaos...well at least for those who know what they are and how to use them!

So look around your place, see what wild edibles are growing -then read up on them! They may just save your life one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can comment but I will moderate the comments so that no spam gets into the blog.